Wow your friends at your next dinner party with these top-notch beef Short Ribs simmered slowly in a rich roasted pepper and tomato sauce.
- 2-1/4 to 3-1/4 hours
- Makes 4 to 6 servings
Chipotle-Braised Short Ribs
- 3 pounds beef Short Ribs
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 5 medium poblano peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded, cut into 1/4-inch thick strips
- 1 to 2 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, finely chopped
- Chopped white onion, chopped fresh cilantro, lime wedges (optional)
Heat oil in large stockpot over medium heat until hot. Brown beef Short Ribs evenly. Remove from stockpot; season with salt and black pepper.Cook's Tip: To cook in a slow cooker, season beef with black pepper and salt. Add beef, onion, tomatoes, poblano peppers and chipotle peppers to 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 quart slow cooker and stir to combine. Cook on HIGH 4 to 6 hours or on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until beef is fork tender. (No stirring is necessary during cooking.) Remove beef; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid. Spoon cooking liquid over beef. Sprinkle with chopped onion and cilantro, as desired. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.
Add 1 cup onion to stockpot; cook 3 to 5 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally.
Add tomatoes, poblano peppers and chipotle peppers to stockpot. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1-1/2 to 2-1/2 hours or until beef is fork-tender.Cook's Tip: To roast poblano peppers, arrange seeded pepper halves, skin side up, on large sheet of aluminum foil. Place on broiler rack so surface of peppers is 3 to 4 inches from heat. Broil 12 to 15 minutes or until skin is blackened. Fold aluminum foil over peppers to enclose. Let stand 5 minutes. Remove and discard blackened skins from peppers.
Remove beef; keep warm. Skim fat from cooking liquid.
Spoon cooking liquid over beef. Sprinkle with chopped onion and cilantro, as desired. Garnish with lime wedges and season with salt and pepper, as desired.
Alternate Cooking Method:
- This recipe can be made in a 6-quart electric pressure cooker. Season beef Short Ribs with black pepper and salt. Add beef, onion, tomatoes, poblano peppers, chipotle peppers and 1/2 cup water to pressure cooker. Close and lock pressure cooker lid. Use beef, stew or high-pressure setting on pressure cooker; program 60 minutes on pressure cooker timer. Use quick-release feature to release pressure; carefully remove lid. Remove beef, spoon cooking liquid over beef; garnish with onion, cilantro and lime, as desired. (This recipe variation was tested in an electric pressure cooker at high altitude. Cooking at an altitude of less than 3000 feet may require slightly less cooking time. Refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.)